Mice/Raised red bump on mouse back

QUESTION: Hi! I have a fancy mouse named Peppy, and she has a weird bump on her back. It is a raised wart size bump closer to her neck. It is kinda orange/red and dimply. I have researched but found nothing, I got her at a local feed store so she was meant to be reptile food so I don't want to spend a lot of money to take her to the local vet.  So any home remedies would be great. She also has a respiratory infection and is currently on tetracycline, she is doing good with the lung infection and is improving, she is pregnant and I have her the tetracycline only once. I know it sounds like she is not doing well but she has a really good attitude. Sorry to ramble on but the main question is, do you know how to treat a red wart/bump on her back? Thanks very much!!

ANSWER: Hi Kalyn,

Could you please send me a photo? I need to see it myself and I will show it to a few other people if I am unsure.

Red bump
Red bump  
QUESTION: I know it's kinda hard to see:/ she wouldn't stay still. It is this red, raised like 2mm (eww) looks kinda dimply, and it is like dry skin. I am good friends with a large animal vet so I can consult him, if he is good with exotic pets. Do you think you can help? Please and thanks for you time!!
P.S. I can try and take another picture if needed:)

Dear Kalyn,

I would like to say it is just a harmless wart, but I haven't seen one quite there.

I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a wart there, but as long as I have access to second, third, and fourth opinions in my rodent friends on Facebook, it would be silly for me just to guess.

I have posted in three groups, so if anyone thinks it could be worse than a wart, they will let me know. If you can take a photo that is better, send it; but this one looks OK to me. Anyway it is best of you write a followup for me to answer tomorrow once I have gotten a few opinions.

squeaks :)

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut