Mice/Wild mice in a tank start nesting

I recently caught 5 wild mice in my apartment and made them a home in a huge fish tank.  My question is that for the most part 4 of them run around along. One of them stays in the little homeunless its hungry. The other day i cleaned out the tank completely and put in fresh paper and s stuff washed the tank now when they were put back in and their little home there was a couple of the mice who immediately started dragging the cloth and paper inside of it. Now could they just be doing that because the home thinking is see through or could one of the mice be pregnant? We have had them going on 3 weeks now and they just started doing this a few days ago.

Dear Stacey,

You are right that it could be either one. But if they didn't do it the last time, it is more likely that someone is pregnant. Three weeks is just long enough. You should give them some extra protein such as scrambled egg.

I don't know what the rest of your plans are for these guys, but if you handle the babies, have fun with them :) I would love a tame "wild" mouse!

Good luck and good health to them all.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut