Mice/Dead pregnant mouse

Hi Tamarah, please help!  One of my outdoor cats just killed a mouse and the mouse is pregnant. I can feel/see the babies moving in her belly, after taking her away from my cat. Is there any way the babies can survive? What do I do??? I'm guessing since the babies are still in the mama, that they are not ready to be born...will they die inside of her peacefully? Will they experience pain, distress? I feel so bad for them. Please let me know the best way for me to handle, in order that the babies suffer as little as possible. Thank you, Tamarah!!! Sincerely, Dana

Hi Dana,

As soon as momma's heart stops pumping, blood will stop passing through the umbilical cords, and the pups will quickly pass away.  They are not breathing on their own, so there is no feeling of suffocation or panic.  There is really nothing better you can do for them.

I am sorry for your loss and how scary it must have been.  Thank you for caring so much!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications