Mice/Mouse much sicker than we thought

Ms Tarly
Ms Tarly  
Hi Natasha

Unfortunately Ms Tarly passed away last night :(. For a brief while she seemed a lot better and was walking around and eating, which she hadn't been doing previously. A few hours later though she'd passed away. She still looked quite healthy in the end but unfortunately the infection must have been too much for her. I've uploaded a picture of her which we took just before she passed.

Just thought I'd keep you updated. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hopefully she made her way safely to mousey heaven.

Dear Jaye,

Thank you for the update. Poor little Ms Tarly was so pretty.

Because  mice are prey animals, they don't seem sick until they are quite sick. So it is easy to underestimate the problem. The symptoms that you described were all very scary mouse symptoms, and to an experienced mouse person, the Ms Tarly in the photo looks quite ill. People get sick and look and sound terrible and go to bed for two weeks but we don't worry for an instant because we know they will be fine. If a mouse felt that way, you would never know. This is why, with mice and rats, you really have to examine every tiny change in behavior.

My pet rat had a tumor in him the size of a hockey puck and once I knew something was wrong (it shifted), he still looked and acted fine. In talking to rat people I found out that the signs I had been missing were that he slept in different places and was clingy. The other sign people told me to look for was slightly squinted eyes. He must have been in agony for months. I had no idea.

People often say that pets go Over the Rainbow Bridge when they pass away. On the other side of the Bridge each mouse or other companion has everything they could want- flowers made of cheese and popcorn, lots of wonderful wheels, etc. It is kind of a nice idea.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut