Mice/UPDATE: Found you a mouse breeding group which welcomes questions

I was wondering if there was an information I could use in my research project regarding mouse breeding. I went to you website and read that I could contact you for research needs. If not, I was wondering if there was another mouse breeding expert I could talk to via e-mail.

If so, thanks for taking your time to answer a few quick questions.

Does obesity affect the breeding of the mouse? In what way?

(I had tried to breed mice and became unsuccessful. The male was obese, so my hypothesis is that the reason the breeding was not a success was because of the animal's weight.)

How does one determine the breeding soundness of a mouse?

Does artificial lighting affect the mouse in terms of gestation or parturition?

Have you observed any genetic mutations when working with mice? If so, what, and does it give an evolutionary advantage?

What factors does a female mouse 'consider' when she chooses who to mate with?

How common is inbreeding? What are some problems that can come with it?

Thanks for reading this series of questions, sorry to bother you!

Dear Desiree,

UPDATE I have a Facebook mouse breeding group which invites you to come and ask questions. If you do not have a Facebook account, I will ask the questions for you.

Are you on Facebook? I don't breed myself (I did as a little kid), but I know quite a few people who do; some might be willing to help you.

I am not who you think I am, though; I don't even have a website. :)

If you are on Facebook, come and find me on the Rats are Awesome page (I am the mod). We have mice there too. Tell me who you are.

If you are not, write back, and I will get you some kind of contact. How old are you?

Squeaks n giggles,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut