Mice/Weaning a orphaned field mouse

I recently orphaned a baby field mouse about 4 days ago. My dog had found a nest and it didn't en so well ,but I saved one little baby.The baby seemed to be around 2 weeks old and has fur with eyes open. I am nursing it on KMR, and has a box with a heating pad on low.I feed her every 2 hours and everything seems to be going good. I did my research and I found I should start weaning my mouse? I tried to offer it baby food, bird seeds but she will just ignore it and want milk. I dont know what to do. I dont really want to rush anything as I plan on keeping her. I am only 14 and I have no experience with mice even though I do love animals. Please help me for I want to save Maple.

Hi Jordyn,

Don't worry about weaning the baby. It will wean itself if you leave food in its cage. Mice with mouse moms don't stop nursing till three weeks, or even later. The reason people hurry is to stop having to nurse the mouse and get more sleep. You can cut back to every three hours, too. You can also soak a little rye crisp in formula in the cage, though you can't leave it in for more than an hour.

Enjoy the little tyke! She will be a loyal friend for (her) life. Thank you for saving her.

Squeaks n giggles,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut