Mice/Baby Kangaroo mouse orphan

Hi Natasha,
I found a baby Kangaroo mouse this am...actually my dog did.  My dog did not hurt him....thankfully.
Its eyes are not open yet but he appears healthy and is active.
I put him in a cat carrier with baby blankets....i have a medicine dropper and put a drop of water near his mouth and he appeared to drink it ....he put his little paws to his face like he was going to wash his face put i think he drank the water from his front paws....I put some broken up bread to him but he did not eat.
i brought him to work with me (in my car but in underground garage so not hot)...and so i can go and check on him during the day and give him some water if needed.  I also put some of my rabbit pellets in with him in case but think he is way too young for that...

Question....what can i do for water/food /hydration etc. to keep him going?
I can get kitten replacement milk if that is needed.....and can also check at petsmart if they have any mouse food/seeds?
I have flax seeds for my horses so i can give him those but i really think he is a bit too young.

Thank you....:) Kim (in Los Angeles)

Dear Kim,

Oh, no! The little baby! It needs the kitten formula every two hours around the clock for the next week still! It can't eat anything solid. Poor little thing.

Get both kitten replacement milk and an electrolyte solution such as pedialyte. While the baby is still dehydrated you will want to use about 80% pedialyte and 20% KMR, reducing to 50-50 when the pup looks healthier.

The easiest way to learn is by watching  the ten videos about raising baby nice at the following link:

Here is a very good mouse site with a good article on raising little ones:

If you have any more questions, the easiest thing is to friend me on Facebook and let me out you on a message thread with other people who have successfully hand  raised baby mice and rats. I am then only Natasha Millikan on Facebook. Please tell me who you are :)

Of course you can also write back here.

Best of luck!

Squeaks n giggles,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut