Mice/Friend for my mouse

I saved two baby female mice from becoming snake food.  I had them for maybe a little under a year.  One of the mice died the day before yesterday.  The remaining one is eating and drinking, and seems "ok", but because I want her to be happy, and I know they are social animals, should I get her another female?  If so, what age should she be?  Thank you for your help!

Hi Linda,

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss.  Different mice handle grief differently, so just in case she is depressed, I would avoid getting her a new friend right away.  It can be very stressful to have a new cagemate!

I would actually recommend, when you feel the time is right, maintaining a cage of three mice at a time.  This way, when one passes on, the other two mice can lean on each other and help each other grieve, until you feel the time is appropriate to bring in a new mouse friend.  With that in mind, really any age of mouse would be suitable, as long as they get along in the end.

Best of luck, and again, I am sorry to hear about your loss,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications