Mice/wild mouse meets fancy mouse

In March I bought my son 2 female fancy mice for his birthday.  A few weeks ago we noticed a wild mouse in the house and my son said he saw him on the top of his mice cage. The mice are in a 10 gallon fish tank.  I was about to set a trap when the mouse seemed to leave.  So I was surprised today to discover that we now have a bunch of baby mice.  Not sure how that wild mouse could get in and out of the tank. Our fancy mice can't.  What do I do with the babies?  Are they safe? Help!

I will give you a longer answer when I get the chance (send a follow up tomorrow to make it easy for me) but I want to reassure you. This is very common; it has even happened to me. The babies cannot hurt you; watch the pets for itching because they can get mites from wild mice.  

More details next time.....

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut