Mice/pet fancy mouse has scabby ears

Gus Gus
Gus Gus  

Gus Gus
Gus Gus  
Dear Natasha,

About 4-5 months ago I purchased 3 female fancy mice from my local Petsmart store.  I recently noticed that my mouse Gus Gus has scabby chewed up looking ears and am worried that the other two are chewing on her ears. I read your post about how this can possibly be ear mites, but the other two show no signs of this on their ears.  Should I separate Gus Gus from the other two or does this look like an hear mite or vet problem to you? I consider these mice my "babies" and am very worried so any advice you can give on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Dear Daryl,

Take them to the vet and have them treated with Revolution. This is a classic case of sarcoptic mange mites.

Then clean everything thoroughly -- wash in hot water what you can wash, and throw away the rest or freeze it for 48 hours.

Best of luck.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut