Mice/Cage of mice dies/cage cleaned with chlorine hydroxide

HI,  I lost a whole cage of mamma and nearly grown babies after the cage was cleaned. Anything that could have prompted this mass death?  The cage had gone longer than I normally go before cleaning it but why did they die right away after the cleaning?  They seemed fine before that.

I used chlorine dioxide to clean the cage and accessories. That is used to clean produce and  rinsed and dried the cage.

The mice started just lying around limp and breathing hard, and died.  

Thanks and blessings,

Dear Olive,

I'm afraid that your mice have tragically been victim to the toxic political realities of American regulation: The purpose of the FDA is no longer to protect the health of the American people. Chlorine hydroxide is toxic. It is also used in tiny quantities, just like straight chlorine, to disinfect public water supplies; and it is used to bleach paper. I am so sorry you had to learn this the hard way. Your poor babies. I hope at least it didn't take long.

I don't even use soap sometimes when I clean the mouse stuff. But if you have a slightly more sensitive nose, you can use diluted Dr Bronners' liquid soap (not peppermint), straight or diluted white vinegar, or if you have to go commercial, Dawn dishwashing detergent (it is what they use to clean oil off of sea animals). Don't use anything where you would actually worry if your infant put it in her mouth. Mouse respiratory systems are very, very delicate. Think how very acute their sense of smell is. And they poison easily.

I am so sorry.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut