Mice/mouse bleeding from vagina

Hi Tam

Help! My mouse is bleeding from her vagina! I don't know if she is having a miscarriage or other health problems. She used to be with other males in the community but recently I have taken out all the males due to other mice giving birth. So she is in an all female community now. She also used to have a constipation problem and still have the problem but it has lessen. What should I do about the bleeding? It is dark red but not bleeding profusely.

She did look kind of bloated - don't know if it is from the constipation or she was pregnant. :(

Hi Kimberly,

This is an emergency and your mouse needs to see a veterinarian now.  While we are happy to help in any way that we can here at AllExperts, it can take up to three days to receive an answer, and any time your mouse is actively bleeding you should take her to someone who can help her immediately.

Mice take about 21 days, give or take two days in either direction, from the day they conceive until they day they have their babies.  How long has she been separated from the community?  If it's been less than a month, the problem could be related to pregnancy, and she needs to see a veterinarian who works with pocket pets like mice.  Miscarriage can happen but is not life threatening, however, retaining fetuses that have already passed away but are not being expelled normally can kill her.

If the problem is not related to a pregnancy that went poorly, it could be from whatever is causing her intestinal problems.  Are you positive the blood is coming from her vagina, and not her anus?  Bleeding from the anus can be a large number of things from disease to food sensitivities which cause repeated gastrointestinal irritation.  Even some parasites can cause blood in the stool.  This is again something that needs to be examined by a veterinarian.

Either way, she needs to go in to a professional as soon as you can.  If you can't find or can't afford one, talk to your local vets and rescues to see if anyone can help out or point you in a better direction for help.  Discuss her history of constipation and the bloating, as well as her diet with your vet to see if she might be allergic to something in her food, and have the vet palpate her stomach very gently to see if he can feel babies or anything that might be wrong.

I am sorry that I cannot help you more from here.  As I said - it's our passion to help people take the best care of their mice, and we offer all of the advice we can, but I am not a vet and I can't see her in person, so I hope you are able to bring her in and identify the problem so she can be more comfortable and healthy.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications