Mice/I have one fat mouse and one skinny mouse and I want to get them back to normal weight

I have one fat mouse and one skinny moise and I am starting to be concerned about their weight so what can I do to get them back to normal weight

Hi Andrew,

A mouse's body condition is determined by its genetics.  There is nothing you can do to make an obese mouse skinnier - they will always be chunky, and fortunately for them, it's not as detrimental to their health as it would be to a human.  As long as the thinner mouse is not skinny because of an illness, this is also okay, although offering that mouse more treats (bread, pieces of fruits or veggies, crackers, yogurt drops, etc.) may help him or her round out.

What are you feeding them?  Do you allow them free access to food?  If you are limiting their food because of the fatter mouse, is it possible that one could be getting to the food before the thin one?  Mice should never be put on a diet, and should have open access to food and water at all times, but you can make sure the food you are giving them is the best possible option.  Mouse foods tend to be carefully calculated to have everything they need nutritionally, whether it's in block form (like Mazuri) or pellet blends.  Try to avoid mixes with high amounts of corn, or those that consist primarily of seeds - seeds are high in fat, and while that may help your skinny mouse pack on some ounces, it won't do your fat mouse any favors.  Stick to the most rounded diet you can find which is specifically labeled either for mice, or for mice and rats.

Best of luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications