Mice/needing a good home

Tamarah, I have a friend in Little Rock AR that called me last night after finding a baby mouse in her garage. Eyes are still closed . They are feeding it right now but are needing to find a home for it asap.  Do you know of anyone in the area that would take in a orphaned mouse?  Thank you so much for any help.

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, rescuers are more of a local thing than a national one, and I don't know anybody in Arkansas.  I can point you in a direction to start looking, however.

Try calling your local veterinarians - even if they can't help, they may be able to tell you who can.  Next, try calling your local animal shelters, rescues, and wildlife rehabilitators to see if anyone has experience with mice.  Lastly, try contacting pet shops, rodent breeders, and even reptile breeders (who often can tell you names of local mouse breeders) to see if anyone can be located who either has a current momma mouse that can foster the pup, or experience with orphaned pups.

If, after all this, help cannot be located, you can expand to outside your local area.  Mice also grow very quickly, if they can continue to keep it healthy and fed for another three or so weeks, it can actually be released again into the wild away from their house.

Best of luck,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications