Mice/My pet Halo

So about a couple weeks ago I found a baby mouse lying on my kitchen floor. Old enough to eat and drink water, but still young enough to be a fluff ball with newly opened eyes. My cats had no interest in the mouse. They were all in the same room and one was a natural hunter. So I'm thinking it was meant to be :). Well, the mouse had its leg chewed to the bone. I promised I would take care of her until she got better. Yes, a girl :). I fell instantly in love. She's grown up now (she's a deer mouse) and feeds from my hand. Knows my voice and kisses the tank shes in. Her leg eventually fell off, but she jumps and runs really high and fast for a 3 legger. She even goes on 1 leg to clean herself. She seems really happy and trusts me. The only weird thing is just recently shes been trying to jump out. Each time I touch the glass, I talk or just sleeping near her she attaches to the top of the tank and tries to escape. Is this normal? Her tank is big and I give her new toys daily. I'm getting an exercise ball today so she come out. Will that be enough?

Hi Taylor,

Yep, that's pretty normal for a wild mouse!  Even though you've had her since she was little, those wild instincts are very much still there and would take several generations of breeding to go away (not that you'd want her to have pups if she's down to three paws, of course).  They are a part of her genetics, so yes, it's normal.

You might consider a bigger or taller cage, to prevent escapes.  Also be aware of how your actions affect her - if she freaks out a little when you approach her from above or do certain actions, try to pair it with a treat she likes before responding to her leap to the roof of the cage, or even backing off and trying again later.  You don't want to interact with her less, but you also don't want to stress her more if she has already demonstrated she's had enough.  It's a tricky thing, but it's a part of her maturing and it isn't likely to stop.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can do anything else to help out!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications