Mice/mice sammy and deliah

Hi Tamarah,

I have two aging mice. One has a small almost not noticeable bump on her back, and the other lost all hair behind his ears. I left for 3 days and I have never been gone that long from my pets before, I was wondering if this is sign of natural aging? or something else? I was pretty sure its not flea or mites, but idk if it is. I was hoping it wasn't separation anxiety lol I don't know if mice get that.

Hi Wendy,

How long have the bump and hair loss been present? Did they just show up while you were away?  Also, when you say aging, how old are they?

Hair loss can be caused by many things, from nervous grooming, to allergies, to things like mites and lice. Is the skin exposed by the missing hair red, irritated, scabbed, or broken?  If you let me know by writing a follow-up question, I can be more help.

With regards to the bump, I have a few different questions. Where exactly is it located? If you blow backwards on the fur, can you see any scabs, red spots, or missing fur? Is it small in diameter like a bug bite, or broad like a lump under the skin? When did you first notice it, when you got back?

Please write me back with these extra details and I'll explain whatever the most likely causes are, and we can go from there. Of course, if you have a vet in your area who treats pocket pets like mice, that would be the best and quickest way to figure out what's going on.

Best of luck, and let me know!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications