Mice/orphaned mouse

Hi.  My cat brought me an orphaned mouse last Thursday and I have been taking care of it.  I've read a lot of your advice and Natasha's also.  Today she (?) opened her eyes and she seems to be doing well.  I have been feeding KMR.  I have 2 issues.  What can I feed her that I might have on hand?  I read uncooked oatmeal softened with KMR, and I do have that.  Anything else?  It will be the weekend before I can get her mice food or any of the other things I've read on here.  Also, what can I do with her?  I don't really have the desire to keep her as I don't have time to take her out and spend time with her.  Also, I don't feel it's safe here for her.  I have 3 dogs inside and the cat.  IF she were to get out, she'd be lunch.  :(  I was wondering if there is someone that would take good care of her once I get her weaned.  Any suggestions?  I live in the southwest Virginia/northeast Tennessee area.

Thanks so much!

Hi Julie,

It's great that she's doing well!  She will need KMR all the way until she can drink water on her own from a water bottle.  This is because even though she will explore solid foods sooner, she needs to get her hydration and the bulk of her nutrition from the formula.  So you should be fine waiting until the weekend to get her mouse food!  In the meantime you can try oats like you mentioned, stale bread either by itself or soaked in a little formula or water (remember to remove any moist foods before they spoil), baby foods (puffs and other little natural treats are great starter foods), crackers without spread, cheerios, or even scrambled eggs made with KMR instead of milk.  Right now it's mostly about learning how to chew for her, so you want things that are not choking hazards and not too hard for her to get through.

Once she can regularly drink on her own (4-6 weeks old depending on how fast she matures), she can actually be released back into the wild.  Survival instincts are epigenetic, meaning they aren't going to be learned away as a pup - she will know what to do!  You'd want to wait for good weather, then release her away from houses, especially yours.  Somewhere with cover is best - not an open field where a bird could pick her up.

If you're looking for an owner, know that she may not be happy in captivity.  Wild mice become pretty wild once puberty hits, and while it may work for some, not every mouse will be happy living in a cage.  However, if you feel this is right for her, which is a decision only you can make, try asking around with your local veterinarians, animal rescues, breeders, and wildlife rehabilitators.  Someone should be able to point you in the right direction and find her a good home!

Hopefully I helped, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know!  Thank you for taking such great care of her so far!  :)

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications