Mice/Albino mouse going bald?

About 3 weeks ago
About 3 weeks ago  
Hello there, I have 2 mice that I've had for almost a year now one black mouse with one eye, and one albino mouse who was in perfect health. About a month ago I noticed a small patch of fur missing on her back. Now a month on her fur is patchy. The skin is not irritated or red. Her whiskers are still intact. There are no marks or cuts on her. The other mouse is not showing any of these symptoms? They are housed in a 3 story cage just under a meter in height and she is fed on a complete mouse dried food. I have checked for parasites and I cannot see any? She is eating and drinking well and her health overall seems fine it's just her fur? Many thanks for reading. Em.

Hello Em,

Although the main parasites which plague mice, mites, are invisible to the naked eye, that is not the problem here.

Also this is not age-related.

It does not look like a fungus to me either, though I am less competent with that.

The most likely cause is what is called barbering: The other mouse is 'cutting' her fur; or 'over grooming.' A mouse can actually do it to herself as well, but I believe that is far less likely.

If her behavior is normal and the skin is always clean and the edges are generally sharp like this, take her unusual appearance as a part of her unusual beauty. She has a stylish haircut!!

I apologize greatly for the lateness of my reply.

Squeaks n giggles,

PS I highly recommend joining my Facebook rat and mouse group, which sadly doesn't have mice in the name (Rats are Awesome), but is as geared towards mice as rats (though there are many more rat owners)  

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut