Mice/half paralized

i live in Alaska and have found two very small mice just standing around in the middle of my work on two different days, not running from people and seeming very lethargic, the 1st I took home and it seems to be doing just fine now after getting warm and having food and water, the one I found on day 2 was the same size and acting the way except it dose not seem to be getting any better and now it appears it is half paralized ( not moving it back legs at all) but it couldn't have always been this way, as I found him in the middle of the floor and it hadn't been there the previous night, also there was nobody but me there, so he couldn't have been stepped on! I don't know what to do, I want them both to live, what's wrong with #2 mouse. Also they are roughly the size of quarter. Could they be carrying diseases, I know Alaska does not have as many as the rest of the U.S.? Please help!

Hi Jessica,

Are there any wildlife rehabilitators in your area that may be able to work with small mammals?  This would be their first and best bet, but if not, I'd try a veterinarian who works with pocket pets like mice.  Not knowing their ages or what happened to them before you found them makes me concerned that medical attention from a professional is the only way to help the second mouse.

All animals have a chance of spreading diseases, such as ringworm, for example, which is a fungus that can affect pretty much any mammal.  However, if they are young (which I'm only guessing based on your size estimate), the chances are pretty low.  Still, I would wash your hands thoroughly after touching them, and be cautious with disposal of their waste and dirty bedding.

Best of luck to mouse #2, and if there is anything else I can do to help, please do let me know!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications