Mice/Mice dosage

I have a thesis paper regarding about the renoprotective potential of Saccharum spontaneum Linn. but the toxicity study was conducted in rats. Can the dosage that was used in rats be used in mice? If yes, how? I would really appreciate an immediate answer for this for it is due this month. Thank you very much.

Hi Aila,

One thing to understand about animal models is that different species will metabolize and react to things differently.  Something that may be toxic at a certain level or by a certain mode of administration for a rat may affect a mouse differently, even though they are both rodents.  Another thing to consider is that a rat weighs significantly more than a mouse, so chances are the dosages used to determine toxicity will need to be adjusted by weight.  Hopefully the study you have gave dosages in amount per unit of weight, or the weight of dosed animals, so it should be easy to derive analogous dosages for lower weights, provided other factors like the metabolism are similar enough.  That'd be a good starting point, in my opinion.  I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean when you ask, "how?"

Short answer - no, dose levels in a rat toxicity study will not correspond directly to mice.  Also, while I understand the urgency of your paper, I'm not exactly a citable source.  Your best bet is to hit the papers and see what you can dig up.

Best of luck!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications