Mice/mouse making clicking noises

Hi my mouse started making clicking noises and I read that it could be a respiratory infection. Can you please let me know the exact dosage I should give my mouse by mouth of the tetracycline. I read you make it into a paste but how much exactly..can he overdose if I give him too much? Also instead of putting the rest into his it in his water bottle ( which he does not use because he is scared of it so I have to use a medicine bottle lid for his water) could I put some in his baby rice pablum? I have been feeding him human infant rice pablum since he was a baby and was handfeeding him. Usually only in a seperate lid besides his water from a medicine bottle. How much per feeding? And yes he does get his regular mouse food from the pet store etc..he just throws a fit and trashes his house if he doesn't get his pablum lol

Hi Gina,

I've looked around for all the information I have and can find on tetracycline, and unfortunately, all I can locate is what I already knew - the amount to mix into a foil-covered water bottle.  This unfortunately doesn't tell me how much needs to be taken in *per day* by the mouse.  Without that information, I can't guess how much to tell you to mix into the pablum.  Additionally, since tetracycline is light-sensitive and will degrade over a period of hours, I can't suggest putting it in the lid you usually provide him water in.

When we recommend making a paste and smearing it on the fur, this is to get an immediate dose in a mouse that is very ill already and needs sort of that "jump start."  Since all you have mentioned is the clicking and no other warning signs that your mouse may be declining in health, I don't think that is really necessary.

The best thing I can recommend you do is call your veterinarian, or if you don't have one yet for your mouse, a local vet who works with pocket pets such as mice and rats.  Not only can they tell you at a visit for certain if the clicking is a sign of an upper respiratory infection (as opposed to a remnant from a past infection or even other noises that could be mistaken for that telltale clicking), but they can also prescribe better, more targeted antibiotics to help and give you advice on how to administer them.  Even if you ended up using tetracycline at home, they would be the best ones to give you correct dosage information, since I am not a veterinarian and don't want to risk your mouse's health by going beyond the scope of my knowledge or resources.

I'm sorry I could not help more,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications