Mice/3 Orphaned baby mice

Today when checking my truck 4 baby (field?) mice fell out of the heat shield about my engine.  One was dead 3 alive. I was told to leave them to nature and I tried but couldn't do it.  Their eyes and ears are closed but they seem to have a downy layer of fur.  I want them to live if it is in them to do it.  I have nothing in the house to feed them but cows milk.  Another sight suggested Oat mild which I am making now.

Can these little guys carry the hantravirus?

Should I release to the wild if they live?  

I want them to survive but I am afraid I might kill them by doing something wrong.  I live very remote Idaho and little to nothing around me unless I drive an hour so homespun ideas will be great for my little trio!

Thanks A LOT!

Dear Holly,

a thousand apologies for not getting to you. Human illness, rodent illness, rodent death, and travel, all conflated into one, made up my last ten days.

I hope you noticed the address for the orphan mouse videos, in my profile? That is always the best tutorial.

Start with 1/10 and go in order.

They can potentially carry hantavirus as far as I know but the chances are very slim. They are too young for contact with many other rodents and they don't get it from their mom in vitro or during birth. There have only been 26 cases of hantavirus in Idaho ever-- but I can't guarantee it isn't possible because I don't want to get sued!

If you handle them and they like it, you should keep them as pets.

Join my FB group Rats and Mice are Awesome; friend me: Ratasha MouseRat; pm me to tell me who you are; and if you like I can put you in a group with other people with either orphans or oops litters, to ask your questions not only of me, but of others as well. There are also a ton of other resources about orphans, in files in both groups.

I hope the little tykes are doing well..

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut