Mice/Pits or seeds

I am always looking for different treats for my little mice.

Would giving them the
pits or seeds of an

be ok as a treat from time to time?

I know you just mentioned that you don't like being linked to other websites, but I still use this website to this day with my own mice when I am trying to remember if a treat is safe for them or not:

That forum has been a resource to me for years, and I still have that link and a few others from there bookmarked on my computer!

I think that rules out most of the pits/seeds you listed, though I can't find information on grapefruit.  I would not risk any of the ones you listed, actually.  Many seeds and pits contain cyanide compounds or other poisons that can endanger smaller animals, particularly apple and peach.  Better options would be pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, squash seeds, and nuts that are not almonds.  Again, though, these are the sorts of foods that are higher in fat, so like you mentioned, they make a better treat than a usual part of their diet.

I'm going to get to your other question in just a little while, promise!  Meanwhile, I really do recommend reading through the Feeding section of that forum.  There is even a whole thread on mixing your own mouse food, so you can feel assured you are providing a balanced diet!  :)

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications