Mice/My mice are really sick

Two of my babies have died already, and the other three are very sick. It came on very quick, they all seemed fine last night however this morning they were very cold and lethargic, their fur is bristled giving them an extra fluffy look, they're hunched seem to have slow breathing and though it doesn't look like their eyes have any discharge they are squinted. They're still eating and drinking, there's no diarrhea. I gave them a tetracycline paste and put some in their water and one of them seems to be getting better, she has much more energy then before. I'm worried about the others though, I don't know what could be wrong with them and I recently lost my job so I can't take them to the vet.

Hi Amanda,

They may have a severe bacterial infection or they may have eaten something poisonous.  As I am sure you know, they really need to go to the vet, but if you can't, you can't.  

Keep the WARM, give them calorie rich foods such as cheese, nuts, avocado, butter. Periods of holding them or having them in your clothes quietly for several hours are very helpful.

Before you get any new mice be sure these guys have had their 10 days of antibiotics.

I hope these ones make it.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut