Mice/rapid breathing, sick mouse

I have had my pet mouse for only a few months. She is still shy, but friendly and until recently, energetic and industrious with a good appetite. A few days ago I noticed that she was breathing rapidly, and it has gotten worse. She is also unsteady on her feet and lethargic. There are other behavioral indicators that she is not well, such as spending a lot of time laying in the open. Also she is hardly eating and has tiny bowel movements. She is as affectionate as ever, but I don't want to distress her by handling her too much. Is there something I can do for her if I cannot afford to take her to the vet right now.

Dear Lisa,

She really needs the vet.

If that is impossible, please follow the instructions for tetracycline made for fish in this answer:

I am really really sorry for the delay. I am taking care of elderly parents and have very little useful access to the internet and almost none to my email.

I hope she gets better soon.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut