Mice/black spot like an enormous blackhead on mouse's leg

My mouse has an enormous protruding black spot on her hind leg. It looks like it goes beneath the skin and bulges out, didn't look like it's covered by skin or anything. My mouse is walking normally, she's also been fighting what I think is an eye infection. I keep the cages clean and haven't changed any products. What is it and what should I do?

Hi Lorelei,

Can you send a photo of this protrusion? It's hard for me to envision what you are describing. Also, is the area red, swollen, weeping, crusty, or bleeding?  With regards to the eye, what specifically are her symptoms?  Does she live with other mice?  Has she had any other recent injuries?

Is there a vet in your area who works with pocket pets like mice? If so, that would be the very best option at this point. I really can't stress that enough - if it is at all possible to get her looked at by a professional, please do.  If there is absolutely no way, please write me back with a photo and the answers to the above questions and I'll see if I can get you pointed in the right direction at least until a vet becomes an option.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications