Mice/Bump on mouse?

Bump on Midna
Bump on Midna  
Hi Tamarah,

My mouse Midna is around 20 months old. She has recently developed a smallish bump on her back (I've attached an image), I've read up some and I'm not sure if it's a wart? however there is some scabbing so I'm unsure. She is still very lively and active and seems her usual self. I was wondering whether you can tell what it could be from the photograph? I haven't took her to the vets yet as she seems fine in herself and there hasn't been any change to it besides the scabbing.

Hi Cara,

That's a very clear photo!  I'm impressed!  :)

It could be a wart, a pimple, a bug bite even, but it looks like it may be just abnormal enough in shape and texture that I'd recommend a visit to your vet if you can.  They will be able to do a harmless, quick procedure called a skin scrape, after which you'll know if it's something to treat (such as a fungus, abscess, etc.), or just a little ol' wart.

I'm sorry that I can't tell you more specifically what it is!  Hopefully it goes away soon on its own, but if not, a vet is definitely the surest way to go.

Best of luck to you and Midna, and please feel free to let me know what you find out and how her bump is doing!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications