Mice/Help—rescued adult mouse from snowy street!

Question
Mouse sleeping in glove
Mouse sleeping in glov  
Help! My husband just rescued a mouse early this afternoon (Jan 24th, 2015) while he and it both were walking along a snowy street in Boston. He was just going to put it on the sidewalk nearby, but as soon as he picked it up, it fell asleep immediately in his soft fleecy gloves. He couldn't bear to wake it, took a photo of the cute little thing and then called me in tears not knowing what to do.

He walked home with it very carefully. It was sound asleep and curled up in the fingers of his gloves. (See photo.) We decided to get a large plastic bin, poking a dozen+ air holes in the top, and line it with one of my t-shirts and some torn newspaper in one corner, and some fine diced apple and a bit of spinach and water in another corner.

The mouse roused a bit while being placed in the bin (using the same glove—we haven't actually touched the mouse) and has since been sleeping most of the day, twitching it's nose occasionally. It is now dusk. We're not sure what to do. We assume it's a wild mouse, and therefore not a good pet for humans. Even if it would make a good pet, we can't properly care for one right now, even one as easy as a mouse. We travel frequently and have other limitations.

We want to do the right thing that's best for this mouse. What is that? If this were spring, summer, or fall, we'd probably bring him out to the woods or a large park and not think too much about it. Can we still do this in winter? I know that mice are resourceful subnivean (lives under the snow) creatures, yet we want to give this mouse the best shot at the best mousy life possible. What should we do?

Grateful for your thoughtful and caring response,

Mike & Steve

Answer
Hi Mike and Steve,

I am so sorry that I didn't answer this faster.  Is the little guy still with you?

If so, the best thing to do would be to contact a veterinarian, wildlife rehabilitator, or animal rescue and get the mouse a medical check (since it sounds like he hasn't been very responsive so far and might be injured or sick).  If he is healthy, then a rehabilitator can help return him to the wild.  If you can't locate one who is able to help, and if he is cleared as healthy and responsive, you can return him to a predator-free, shrubby area away from traffic and houses.  As long as he is in good health, there's no reason he won't be able to survive outdoors (maybe don't release him mid-blizzard, though).  Of course, a wildlife rehabilitator is still his very best bet.  As you mentioned, he would likely not be very happy as a pet.

Hopefully he has since perked up. Please let me know how he is doing and if I can help in any further way, and I will keep an eye open for a response so I can get back to you more promptly.

Mice

Tamarah