Mice/Uri worsening?

QUESTION: My mouse started to make a sort of dolphin sound so I took her to the vet who said it was a URI. He suggested that it may be the sawdust so I switched to care fresh bedding and he gave me antibiotics to give my mice. The mouse has been taking the antibiotic however, the one mouse out of the three (the one I took to the vets) has dramatically increased in size her stomach is huge. If I had males i would assume she was pregnant. I don't know what's wrong with her. Have you got any ideas?

ANSWER: Hi Coraline,

Could you give your vet's office a call and see if weight gain is a possible side effect of the medication?  How old is she, and when did the sudden weight gain begin?  A URI will not cause weight gain, rather it usually shows itself with dramatic weight loss, but it's possible she could be having an allergic reaction to either the medication, one of the beddings, or a change in something else in her environment.

Other things can cause lumps and bumps that may give that pregnant appearance include: mammary tumors (which occur anywhere between armpit and hip but usually are not symmetrical), abscesses or edemas (swelling caused either by a local infection or a collection of fluids under the skin, respectively), hormonal changes that come with either puberty or old age, or of course, wild mice being very sneaky and getting her pregnant when you aren't looking (this would surprise me, but has happened in the past especially with wire cages and very clever house mice).

Obviously, if she doesn't have pups in three weeks, that last one isn't it.  My biggest concern would be bloating and swelling related to an allergic reaction or a side effect, so it may be a good idea to try and get your vet on the phone.  He may be able to provide you with a different antibiotic so she does not have to stop her treatment to address the weight gain.  On that subject - please don't stop the antibiotics until you have spoken with him, as they'll only be effective if you give them consistently and respiratory infections can be quite serious.

Best of luck, and please let me know how she does and what the vet says!

QUESTION: Hi I did manage to take her to the vets :/ Sadly the vet said that she has lymphoma (cancer) and told me it was now a quality of life issue and that I could keep her home for as long as she looked happy. So she is currently in her cage with my other two mice and being spoilt rotten x

I'm sorry to hear that, but as your vet pointed out, there's not much to do besides keep her happy.  Cancer in mice can be very unpredictable - some mice live a long time past being diagnosed with no discomfort at all, and some have shorter lives but may be just as happy. As long as she isn't suffering there's no real reason to worry.

It sounds like you have a great vet, and are doing a great job making her feel special and loved! She is lucky to have you!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications