Mice/Possible Ear Infection?

Yesterday I went to handle my female mouse and I noticed that her head is tilted to the left and she is having a hard time balancing. There is no discharge coming from her ear but I suspect that this is an ear infection. How can I treat this? I have read that doxycycline can help? I have capsules at my house that were prescribed to me a while ago. Can I use them? Please answer soon, I think she is in pain!!

Thanks Maddy

Hi Maddy,

Yes, that sounds like it could be an ear infection!  A couple of other things can cause head tilt, but ear infections are probably the most common and are also the easiest to treat.

I cannot ethically support you giving her your own doxycycline, however, and it is likely the concentration would be high and difficult to administer anyways.  The best thing to do would be to visit a veterinarian in your area who works with pocket pets like mice and request an antibiotic like Baytril, tetracycline, or similar antibiotic.  They will be able to get you the correct dosage and form of the drug.  There are several options available to you, but it needs to come from a vet, vet supplier, or pet store.

If a vet is absolutely not an option at all, please write me back and I will see if I can help.  However, the very best thing to do is treat it quickly to reduce the chance of ear damage, and the best person for that is a professional veterinarian who can get you the right medication the first time.

Best of luck!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications