Mice/Bad arm and back leg

My mouse
My mouse  
I work at a pet store and noticed that there was a small mouse in a separate enclosure no one knew why he was in there, but I did notice he has a bad front arm and I'm not positive his back legs work due to him crawling earlier today, I brought him home to care for and was wondering what I should do to nurse him back to health. (He is a feeder mouse but I intend to keep him as a pet).

Hi Christine,

Your mouse needs to see a veterinarian immediately.  He is either sick enough that he cannot stand, and there is not in fact anything wrong with his legs, or he has nerve damage.  Honestly, even if his back legs were simply injured, that is not a natural position for him to be laying in - he is in distress.  As he is right now, he is not going to be able to get to food or drink, either.  If you truly want to nurse him back to health, he needs a professional's assistance as fast as possible.

I can't tell from the photo - is his tail short?  Is it possible he was removed for being injured in a fight, and may be fighting an infection?

If you have a veterinarian in your area that sees pocket pets like mice, or an emergency clinic that takes exotics that will be open today, please bring him in.  Please let me know how it goes!  My thoughts are with the little dude.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications