Mice/Eye problem

Hi, my mouse is around 4 months old and i noticed that she got an dark circle around her eye and it's becoming irritated i guess, is there anything i can do to help her because I couldn't fint any doctor here.

Hi Nari,

Does she have any scratches that you can see, or scabbed areas?  Is the eye discharging (weeping), bleeding, or does it have crusties?  Is she squinting, or is the eye bulging?

If it's just a little reddish and squinting, you can clean it once or twice a day using saline that you can make at home.  Get a clean cup and fill it with warm water, adding just the tiniest amount of salt.  You want the salt to completely dissolve - if you can see any grains floating in the water after, you've added too much.  Next get a clean cotton ball or piece of gauze and dip it in the warm water, then dab at the eye very gently.  You don't need to get it IN the eye, just around it.  Then dry her completely by dabbing the area gently with a new, dry cotton ball or piece of gauze.  Make sure you do not put her back while she is still wet or she can become cold.

You can repeat this once or twice a day (it's like the mouse version of eye drops for us).  If you do not see improvement, however, or if it gets worse, please write me back with more details and I will help however I can.

If I misunderstood, and it's NOT reddish and squinting, but is actually discolored, swollen, discharging, bleeding, scabbed, crusted, or bulging, please let me know and I'll get you better information.  It's also a good idea to look around her cage and see if you can identify what is irritating her.  Does she have very dusty bedding?  Something scratchy she could have hurt herself on?  Other mice in the cage that she could have scuffled with?  Is the bedding changed 1-2 times per week?  This information can give you clues to fix the cause, instead of just the symptoms, so it doesn't come back later.

Best of luck, and let me know how she does,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications