Mice/Mice Poop Color

So my mice recently started pooping a yellowish slimy poop, what does this mean? It's only been happening in the past few hours of my posting this question but the poops are usually brown or black. I've just fed them mice food and some apple in the past two days, is that bad? Thanks!

Hi Bryan,

Did you feed them a large amount of the apple, or more than usual?  Fruits can certainly cause loose or discolored stools.  Try reducing the amount of fruit you give or how often, and see if that makes a difference.  I usually take one slice of apple and cut it into four little chunks - each chunk makes a good treat, once every day or two.  It's a healthy snack, but like any treat, it's possible to give too much or to surprise their tummies by the change.

If the poop does not go back to normal within a day or so, or if they develop any other signs that they may be dehydrated or ill, let your veterinarian know or write me back and I'd be happy to help you however I can.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications