Mice/Mouse Sounds

I've had my mouse since, roughly, end of August 2014. He has acted normal until about two months ago. Every now and then, he makes this weird sound. He isn't singing, because he's the only one. It sounds like he's wuffling, but not like he's having difficulty breathing. I asked the pet store that I got him from and they suggested a vet. I don't wanna go to the vet and have them charge for no answer. Figured I would look online and see if someone knows. :)

Hi Erin,

Your pet shop was right to suggest a vet - strange breathing sounds are never something to take lightly, and can be a sign of a respiratory illness.  While I could make suggestions on general antibiotics and try to help you guess, there is no way for anyone online to diagnose the sound, verify your mouse's health, or prescribe you an appropriate, targeted medication.

If there is a vet in your area that works with pocket pets like mice, please do go see them and have them examine him in person. Professionals are called that for a reason! They won't send you away without an answer - they'll get him started on the best medication possible if needed and then be a phone call away if you have specific questions.  Given all the things you'd try otherwise, the misinformation out there, and the time it would take you to find the best solution via trial and error, a vet is by far the cheapest and fastest way to help your pet.

Best of luck to the little guy! Let me know if you need anything else.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications