Mice/Small hard lump on mouse's back

QUESTION: When cleaning out my per mice I noticed that my long haired mouse has a small hard lump in the middle of her back.  It is pale pink in colour with a couple of darker spots on it, the lump is also quite rough. At first glance I thought it was a scratch, but definitely round.  It doesn't seem to be causing any discomfort.  I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

ANSWER: Hi Danielle,

Is there any way you could send me a photo of the lump in a followup question, please?  That way I can get an idea of size, color, and texture a bit better than trying to imagine it.  Lumps and bumps could be anything from pimples to pests, bug bites, injuries, abscesses, tumors, or even allergies.  I will be able to give you a better guess after seeing it, but a vet would be able to diagnose it virtually immediately if that is a possibility for you.

Spot on mouse
Spot on mouse  

I have finally managed to take a photo of the hard spot/lump please see attached image.

Thank you for all your help

It looks like her bump could be a growth such as a pimple or small abscess (like from a scratch), or even a bug bite.  Mice do occasionally get skin problems such as these, and if it is a normal occurrence and not related to a bigger problem like fighting, it will likely go away on its own.

I would suggest monitoring this to see if it decreases over the next couple of weeks or if it grows, but as long as it is not bothering her, I would not worry too much.  If it starts to grow, lose hair around it, become itchy, begins to discharge or the skin breaks, or if you see other bumps appear, I would visit a vet to see if they can identify the exact cause.  Like I mentioned before, only a vet can diagnose what it is, but the good news is that it doesn't look urgent to me!

Best of luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications