Mice/baby orphaned mouse

I've had a baby mouse for a few days he opened his eyes the day I found him I've been feeding him kitten formula and just started feeding him fruits seeds oats etc I've looked up all the stuff they can eat, but today he just seems really down like slow not eating very much and only wants formula nothing else he usually cleans himself a lot but all he does is sit there not very much movement his poops seem to be ok not sure what baby mouse poop looks like but it's not diarrhea just not sure what's going on could he be lonely or us it worse?

Hi Kristi,

It's good that he is still taking formula, but it's definitely a concern that he is behaving lethargically. Is there a veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice in your area that you could bring him to? Baby mice can decline quickly for a variety of reasons, so if something is off, it would be best to see a professional for help quickly.

Has he been consistently gaining weight? This, along with normal (or at least consistent) waste and a steady appetite are the best signs to watch for with young mice. If you have a food scale or something that measures in grams, place something soft on it like a bowl with a towel inside, and weigh him before and after every feeding. This will help you watch for weight loss or failure to gain.

If his eyes opened a few days ago, then you are right that you should be offering solid foods to explore, such as mouse blocks, stale bread, and cheerios. However, he will not get any nutrition from these things until he learns to feed and hydrate himself, so do NOT decrease his number of feedings with formula.  Right now he is just learning how to chew.

Has he been sleeping in between feedings? Could he be cold? Has he had any trouble breathing, or is he sneezing? Has he been pottying a regular number of times? A lot can go wrong with mouse pups, even before we find them, so it's hard for me to guess from here what is making him uncomfortable or sick. The best option is definitely a vet, but failing that, hopefully some of this info has helped you pinpoint what might be going on. I'd also recommend checking out the information in this link:

Please let me know if I can help any further or if you have other clues or questions to add and I will reply as quickly as I can. Good luck to the little guy!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications