Mice/Behavior

Question
My little lady I am thinking is about 18 days old, I found her and her eyes were closed about a day or so later her eyes opened. She is doing great in every way except after I feed her she seems to spaz out and start biting random things like the blankets, portions of my finger and hands, a dust ball I had to fight her for and even tried gnawing on the q tip that I was using to massage her belly with! What do you think would cause her to get so spazzy? I know she definitely likes doing things her way, and has absolutely no fear, I know in general she likes exploring but its starting to worry me how active she is being. Am I doing something wrong? I thought maybe she just needingto gnaw on some solid food so I tried doing a cracker in her cereal/formula that I has already started thickening to get her ready for solid, she seems to be moving too fast in a way.
The day after I found her she also has a bit of an episode that I was wondering on, I about freaked out and never felt so helpless in my life, she would while eating seem to look like she was either having a seizure or was choking, what so you do in that situation?  

Any information for my little hunkamonka would be appreciated.

Thank You, Ashley

Answer
Hi Ashley,

If she is pottying on her own, you do not need to massage her belly anymore.  Once pups begin to grow more independent, they tend to get a little more resistant to our help.  If she is indeed 18 days, you can absolutely begin offering solid foods.  Try offering a commercial mouse mix (pellets or blocks, not seed mixes) so she can begin eating more on her own.  She will still need formula feedings until she can hydrate on her own, but this way you won't have to rely on her cooperation with feedings for the whole of her nutrition.

In the meantime, replace her in her enclosure as soon as feedings are done.  You may need to experiment with different ways of offering the formula so that you aren't getting bit and she is not stressed.

Regarding the episode you mentioned after finding her, it is possible she aspirated some of the formula, depending on how you were offering it.  Bubbles coming out of the nose, gasping, gurgling or clicking are all potential signs that formula has been inhaled.  This can happen especially with forceful feeding or runny formula.  The biggest risk with aspiration is pneumonia - infection that occurs in the lungs as a result of the inhaled formula.  As far as what to do, the best solution is prevention - always use passive modes of delivery, such as a paint brush or a dropper that is sucked on, rather than pushing formula into the mouth via syringe or tube.  Mix formula according to instructions; it should be similar in consistency to milk or baby formula - think thinner than egg nog but thicker than water.

Hopefully I answered your questions, but please let me know if anything was unclear or there is anything else I can help with!  Thank you for taking care of this baby.

-Tam

Mice

Tamarah