Mice/Diarrhea rash?

Hi Natasha, you helped me a bunch yesterday with my orphaned baby mice that might have diarrhea. My female hasn't had a solid stool since yesterday, and now her genital area is red and she squeaks when I try to stimulate her to poop no matter how gently. Is there any safe ointment I can put on her to help heal it up?

I also gave her 50% unflavored Pedialyte and 50% formula for 4 feedings and then just changed it to about 60% formula 40% Pedialyte at the last feeding since she seemed to rehydrate, but no solid waste yet.

Thank you so much!

Hi Kristen,

Has she been going to the bathroom on her own yet?  When you are helping her to go, be very careful that you are gently dabbing, not wiping, with a nonabrasive material, and that she has been dabbed completely dry after the fact.  This is especially important with diarrhea, as leaving any poo or moisture behind on her skin can cause additional irritation.  I know you are being gentle, but I just wanted to cover these points just in case they helped.

You can use either a little bit of coconut oil or a very tiny dab of triple antibiotic ointment on irritated skin around the anus.  Do not put it directly on the genitals or the anus, however.  You can do this once or twice a day to provide a barrier between the skin and the poo.  Don't overdo it, however, because we still want that skin to breathe and heal.  It should improve as her stools do, and I'm glad you found some Pedialyte.  Is she still gaining weight?

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications