Mice/Mites Scar

Hello Tamarah

I have recently taken my mouse to the vet to get  a drop of ivermectin on his back 2 weeks ago to get rid of mites but the scarring has not healed and he is still scratching himself sometimes. In fact the scar on his face has gotten worse and he will scratch it till it bleeds every few days (I'll link a picture), is there anything I could do for him to stop scratching the scar?
And also how often would you recommend for me to take him to the vet to get the drop of ivermectin again?

Thank you

Hi Tammy,

Ouch, that looks painful!  Have you phoned the vet yet?  That would be a good first place to start.  They should be able to tell you over the phone how often the ivermectin needs reapplied.  Since I do not use ivermectin, I'm not sure how long it remains effective.  In any case, it sounds like it has not, in fact, been effective, and your vet may suggest trying a different remedy such as selamectin (Revolution).

It is also crucial that the entire environment be cleaned of mites at each treatment of any mite medication.  You can do this by changing the bedding (new bedding can be frozen for 24 hours and then thawed to kill any incoming mites), cleaning out the entire enclosure itself, and cleaning or boiling all toys, dishes, and bottles.  Absorbent toys that cannot be boiled or sanitized should be tossed out.

The best thing to do for that ouchie on his face is to fix the cause of the itching.  Healing skin will itch, too, but it sounds like this is much more than just picking at a scab.  Until the mites can be resolved (if the vet did, for sure, identify mites at your visit), it is important to keep the wound site clean and protected.  You can clean it once or twice daily if he will let you with betadine, a safe and gentle iodine solution you can find at the pharmacy.  Just add a few drops of betadine to warm water until it is the color of tea, dip a piece of gauze into it, and dab lightly to coat the area.  You can then clean away any stain with a piece dipped in plain water, and dry completely.  Applying a tiny bit of triple antibiotic ointment to the injury can protect it from physical debris that might infect it until the next wash.  Remember, however, that you only need a tiny amount of ointment - he will probably just clean most of it away anyways, and that's alright, but we don't want to feed him a ton of it!

Hopefully this helps, and hopefully your vet can get you a better treatment asap and stop that itching!  Please let me know if you need anything else,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications