Mice/Red patch on the side of mouse nose?

Grey (:
Grey (:  
Hello Tamarah,

My mouse recently got this red patch on the side of his nose and I'm not quite sure of what it is,
He has got a bald spot on the side of his back, so I thought maybe it was mite bites?
But we have recently moved houses and it might be stress and him over grooming.
I have sprayed some mite spray on him for the last 3 days now, but it doesn't seem to be fading
I'll put up a picture for you to see, but would you have any clue as to what it is and how to treat it for him?

Thanks alot

Hi Tammy,

Before your first mite treatment, was he scratching at his face pretty frequently, or only cleaning it?  Has anything changed recently in his diet?

If he is scratching often, multiple times a day, mites would be my suspicion.  What spray are you using?  I don't know of any treatments that need applied every single day, and you can irritate the skin badly by overusing it.  Revolution needs only one drop of the kitten version applied to the back of the neck once per month at most.  8-in-1 avian mites and lice spray lists in its instructions not to use more than twice per week.  Look at the directions on the back of your product and make sure you are following them in terms of dosage and frequency for the most effective treatment.  With sprays I like to wear gloves, spray the product on my hand, and then rub it into the main coat (it does not need applied to the trouble areas specifically and should be kept off the face).  Keep Grey warm until he is completely dry, at which point he can be put back in his cage.  Sprays will need repeated after 1-2 weeks according to instructions in order to kill mites that were eggs at the time of treatment.  To kill mites in the cage (which must be done at the same time, every time, or they will just hop right back on him), throw out old bedding and anything which cannot be sterilized or frozen, and clean everything else in hot, soapy water.  Be sure you get ALL chemicals off with an extremely thorough rinse before drying and adding new bedding.  You can freeze new bedding for 24 hours prior to use to kill any new, incoming mites.  Improvement will start out as simply scratching less, and the irritation should resolve quickly, within a few days, with hair growing back within 1-2 weeks.

If he was never scratching in the first place, only cleaning himself, then yes, it could be overgrooming.  Has he been showing any other signs of stress?  Is the spot on his back irritated as well, or bare, healthy, and just hairless?  The thing about overgrooming is that it can't be treated in the way that other medical causes can, so other than waiting and offering fun entertainment, there isn't much to be done.  It's a good idea to explore other possibilities just in case.

Another possibility is allergies.  If anything new has been added into his environment or diet at the time the symptoms started, try eliminating it and seeing if the irritated skin resolves.  I would attempt this after the mite treatment, so you know which thing is actually helping.

The very best thing to do if it is possible for you would be to take him to the vet.  Skin maladies can very easily be identified using a process called a skin scrape, where a tiny sample is taken and viewed under a microscope.  In the same visit, you can quickly and painlessly identify the cause of irritation, get appropriate treatment, and not have to worry about guessing.  If it's possible, it's definitely the fastest way to get Grey's face happy and healthy again, which is important, as broken skin is an open doorway to infections.

Best of luck, and please let me know if I can help with anything else or if anything needs clarification!  Hope he gets less itchy soon!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications