Mice/Update and new question re:fancy mouse named Pinky

Hello again. You answered my previous question on Aug 4/15 regarding my fancy mouse named Pinky who had a tail injury.
Sadly, Pinky passed away two days ago. I came home from work early and checked in on the two mice as i usually do. I noticed she wasnt herself (she was fine the day before) and picked her up. She spent over 20 minutes in my hand before she passed away. It was one of the most horrible exepriences in my life.
Lila is now alone and seems to be grieving as well. I have read other responses that talk about greiving mice and whether to introduce new mice but im still unsure as to what is best. I'm guessing Pinky died of infection (from her tail injury)  but im wondering what the chances are of Lila getting the infection and when i will know that she is "safe".
I am keeping a close watch on her as i am worried about her health as well as contemplating new mice and the timing of that. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Terena,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  It's always hard to lose a dear pet.

If Pinky passed away as a result of her injury, Lila is not at risk.  I would, however, recommend giving her a few weeks before adding a new friend, as she will need time to grieve.  This grieving can lower the immune system, so any new mice brought in should be quarantined for 3 weeks to ensure health before introducing them.

If Lila is friendly, try giving her a little extra affection in the coming few weeks as she processes the loss of her friend.  I'm sorry again to hear about Pinky's passing.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications