Mice/Mouse Scab

Hello Tamarah

I'm back with the scab questions again for grey :(

For the past 3 weeks I have taken my mouse grey to the vet 3x and treated him for mites. He definitely doesn't have any mites left on him but the scarring on his face is still there. He has been given oral antibiotics and has had it for 3 days now, but it doesn't look like its clearing up at all. He eats normally plays normally and is still himself but he will still scratch the scar until its either raw or bleeding.

Is there anything I can put onto the scar so it doesn't itch or any cream that will be safe for grey for the scar to heal?

My local vet is running out of solutions as to what I can do for the scars to heal, I was hoping you would have some ideas or answers?

Thanks so much in advance

Hi Tammy,

I spoke last time about cleaning it on a daily basis with betadine and water, and applying a very thin coating of triple antibiotic ointment a couple of times a day to protect it.  Have you had a chance to try that yet?

Additionally, when you have brought him to the vet, did the vet try different miticides, such as Revolution (selamectin), or just reapply the ivermectin?  Has the vet done a skin scrape and positively identified that the itching definitely WAS caused by mites, and not something else, such as allergies, sensitivities, or a neurotic tic?

If you can write me a follow-up with these details, I can help out a bit better.  Hoping Grey feels better soon,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications