Mice/sick mouse not eating or drinking

My Male mouse who is about 9 months old has been very sick for the last week. He started chattering while i was away last week and when i returned on friday he had stopped chattering but is sleeping constantly, is very slow, weight loss, hunched over with messy fur and is refusing to eat or drink. i have been trying to force feed him water and vegetable and nut purees but he is not interested in food and spits it out.
i took him to the vet yesterday thinking it was a respiratory infection, they said his breathing and heart were fine and gave me some pain relief medicine for him. they checked his poo under a microscope and couldn't find anything wrong with him. the only thing they could come up with was that he may have an unknown injury.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated
thank you so much

Dear Emma,

How is he? He must be kept very very warm.

He should be given antibiotics whether he has clear lungs or not. He could have another kind of infection. I recommend doxycycline  and amoxicillin.

Has his behavior changed with the pain medication?  

Please let me know so I can try to help you further,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut