Mice/Mice cooling during exercise

I am conducting cardiovascular research in mice. Our lab measures blood vessel function in arteries that are in the fat tissue directly next to muscles that used to aid in mouse running. We find that these vessels in the fat tissue are healthier in exercise mice than in normal mice. The exercise mice have a wheel to run and the control mice do not. That is essentially the difference. Anyways these findings would make sense in humans because we have increased blood flow to the fat surrounding muscles during exercise to help cool down but in mice I am told all of their cooling from the tail. Is this true or do mice also redirect blood to the skin and fat during exercise? If you do not could you refer me to a book?

Hi Austin,

Before you jump to that conclusion, have you examined vessels in the rest of the body?  Is it not possible that regular cardiovascular exercise (the wheel) could have led to healthier vessels overall?

It's true that because there is a prominent vessel running the length of the tail, a great deal of heat can be lost from it should it dilate, however heat is also lost through the paws and large, vascular ears.  Therefore, not all of their cooling occurs through the tail.  Because mice are so small, anesthesia becomes extremely challenging - they lose body heat all over very quickly when under the influence of anesthesia.  This would seem to support that all their peripheral vessels are capable of dilating and dispersing body temperature.

I think you have a better chance than I do, being a researcher, at finding out firsthand if the vessels in fat serve as cooling mechanisms during and after exercise.  In fact, it sounds like the purpose of your experiment, so you tell me!  :)  As far as peer support, it's tough to find books on mice.  Start at the Jackson Laboratory ( and then move to searching papers through your local university's subscriptions.  A lot has been done in mouse research to perfect them as project models over the last few decades - I bet you can find something useful through a good research database.  While my husband works at the local college, I no longer have access to their database, and unfortunately cannot look up recent papers for you.  In case you find it useful, here is the full text of The Anatomy of the Laboratory Mouse (Margaret J. Cook, 1965) which may prove a useful starting point, as well:

Good luck in your research!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications