Mice/Mouse doesn't groom

Hi, Tamarah!
I have a female mouse named Fawn. She was originally a feeder mouse, but my pet store moved her to a different tank because her fur was not pure white. She's a creamy brown/tan color. I believe she's around a year and a half old, and she's showing some signs of aging. I've also noticed that her fur is getting 'scruffy' and I never see her grooming anymore, at all. She enjoys cheek rubs and going onto my hands to look around. Is there a way for me to encourage her to groom again? Or is this a sign of old age?

Hi Michelle,

While it could be her age, it would be prudent to make sure nothing else is going on that might be fixable.  Usually mice stop grooming when they feel bad - is she showing any other symptoms that might clue us in to if something is wrong?  Does she sneeze, click, or hunch?  Is she sleeping more and moving around less?  Is she still eating and drinking normally?  Is the water bottle functioning correctly?  Are her eyes dull or alert, and are her ears her normal color or very pale? Has she gained or dropped any weight recently?  Are her stools normal, or have they recently changed?

Take a close look at her, her behavior, and her environment and let me know if you can find anything by writing me a "follow up" question.  Let's see if we can figure it out together!  :)

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications