Mice/Critically injuries mouse

hhurt mouse
hhurt mouse  
I stepped on a baby mouse and broke his front left leg and he was bleeding out his mouth. Think his jaw ids broke. For two days he's fought to live. How can I feed him cuz he won't eat. He's moving a little and poops but can't open his mouth our won't. I don't want him to die. Its there anything I can do to save him.

Hi Ben,

I know it's heartbreaking, but if he won't eat, he won't survive. If it's possible, the best thing to do would be to bring him to a veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator. They not only have the ability to humanely euthanize if you choose, but they also MIGHT have the supplies and experience to do emergency care like monitoring his temperature, assessing his leg, and sq hydrating/tube feeding. Unfortunately, most of those things cannot be done at home.

In the meantime, unless you decide to end his suffering, you will need to continue trying to offer food. You can use a paintbrush dipped in kitten milk replacement to offer it, as he should be eating KMR every 2-3 hours to stay hydrated and fed. He needs to stay warmed, which you can do by keeping him away from drafts and by putting his enclosure on a heating pad on its lowest "warm" setting.

If a vet is not possible, and he continues to refuse food, I would encourage you to consider euthanasia. A broken leg means an immense amount of pain, which is likely why he is not eating. There are not many medications a mouse that young can have. I'm proud of you for going so far to try to save him, but unless you stepped in the whole nest, chances are he was in trouble long before you found him. With bleeding from the mouth, it's not a stretch to suspect internal injuries, either. All of these factors together make having a vet put him down (which vets experienced with mice should be able to do for free or low cost) a compassionate option on the table.

I'm sorry all this is happening. Best of luck, and if anything changes, please let me know and I'll help however I can.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications