Mice/Why there?

Thanks you for a great site with such helpful information.

I found a baby (maybe 8 lor 9 days) on the side of the road when I took a walk last evening, around 8pm why on earth would such a tiny mouse be in the road? Do the mother mice ever carry the babies out of the nest? I was wondering if maybe they relocate their nests sometimes, like cats move their kittens if they feel threatened?

It is just darn lucky we came by when we did. It was a bit cool out, and he was very cool, but still a little wiggly at first. Once he got warmed up at home he perked right up. He must have been dropped there a very short time before we saw him. I can't imagine that he could live very long exposed on the side of the road...

Any hints about how this happened, I would appreciate.

Hi Stef,

There are a couple likely possibilities.  The first is that momma mice sometimes kick a mouse out of their nest if something is wrong with it.  They have a way of sensing if it is not thriving, or has something wrong internally, and will reject the mouse from the nest.  Sometimes with hand raising they improve and grow up fine, but sometimes they don't, and there's really no guessing until you try.

The second possibility is that the nest was in a car.  Mice frequently build nests in the cozy, protected nooks and crannies of vehicles, especially if they aren't used often.  Then when the person does start up the car and go somewhere, babies can fall out!

Mice don't usually move their nests.  Since pups become mobile and independent very quickly, there's not usually a reason to.  Of course, we'll never know for sure without having been there, but my guess is one of the two above scenarios is the reason for your roadside mouse pup.  Thank you for rescuing him, and if there is anything else you need, please feel welcome to ask!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications