Mice/My mouse is wrinkly and it's getting worse

I recently found a mouse on my floor and she has recemtly gotten wrinkly And I don't know what to do I don't really know how old she is I've been feeding her infant formula with pedytle and keeping her on the lowest heating setting there is ( low) she is very small can you please help me

Thanks---- Cammi

Hi Cammi,

It looks like that mouse is dehydrated, but there's not really a way for me to be sure about that as I have no real frame of reference or background on her.

You say you've been feeding her infant formula - do you mean human formula?  A better option would be kitten or puppy formula, as those are much more closely aligned nutritionally speaking.  You may also need to slightly water down the formula based on its mixing instructions, as some formulas are very thick and pastey - you want it to be the consistency of milk.

How often are you feeding her?  At that size she should be eating every two hours.  A well-fed mouse will start to stir around that time on their own, eat, stop eating on their own, and go to sleep pretty quickly after being laid down in the warm enclosure.  She should also be gaining weight in grams every day, and urinating at every feed.  If these things aren't happening, I would consider calling someone who has experience in orphaned mice, such as a veterinarian who works with mice, a rodent breeder, an exotic animal rescue, or a wildlife rehabilitator who works with small rodents (check your location's forestry and wildlife website).

On the other hand, if she IS eating regularly, waking on her own, peeing at every feed, and if her stools look pretty consistent, I would worry that something genetically was going wrong.  Frequently when mouse pups are out of the nest, it's the result of momma kicking them out because she can sense something is wrong with them.  I'm not sure what the circumstances were of finding her, but even if that were the case, I would look to feeding habits first.

Hopefully this helps but let me know how it goes,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications