Mice/Pregnant mice

I have five female mice at the moment, and I know for sure that four of them are pregnant. Could I keep all my females together when they are ready to give birth or should they be put in separate bins? The other question is, one of my female mice is pregnant from another male, can I put her in with the rest of the pregnant ones? Male are not with the females now, as they are very close to birthing.

Hi Lise,

I'm sorry for my delayed response - it might not be much help now if they've already had the babies!

I recommend separating the females for four reasons.  One, so if there are any problems, you can quickly identify the parents involved and figure out what's going on (e.g. failure to thrive, congenital deformities, so on).  Two, so if one momma decides there's too much stress and she's going to eat babies, she doesn't eat everybody else's babies.  Three, so if the litters end up coming too far apart, bigger and faster growing babies don't out-eat or trample newbies.  The last reason only really applies if you are planning on breeding again, and that's record keeping!  It's tough to know which pairings resulted in mice with the characteristics you want to replicate, control your inbreeding, and weed out weak genetics if you don't know parentage.

That said, communities do have their benefits, so if I'm too late in my response and you left them together, don't worry too hard.  It's not what I'd choose to do in the future, but when things go correctly and there are no issues, mommas can share in nursing responsibilities.  It also makes it a little easier on you when it comes to spot cleaning the bedding and such.

Either way, congratulations on your incoming litters!  I'm going to answer your second question in a new reply message right now.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications