Mice/Wild baby mouse

Our cat brought in a wild baby mouse that we have been feeding, it's eyes aren't open yet but it has fur. We can't keep it because we own three cats, can we return it to the wild when it is old enough? When would it be able to survive on its own?

Hi Mary,

Yes, you absolutely can (and probably should) return the mouse to the wild when he or she is old enough, which is usually between 4-6 weeks when they are confidently drinking on their own (which they usually figure out a bit later than eating solid food).  The instincts that allow wild mice to find food and hydration, escape predation, and find shelter are all built into their genetics, literally!  Those instincts take several generations to breed out in captivity.  As soon as you feel he or she can both eat and drink reliably on their own, you can bring them to a place away from buildings and houses and release in a covered area.

Thank you for rescuing this little guy or girl!  If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know!  :)

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications